M.B.B.S, F.R.C.S (UK)
Prof C M K Reddy is one of the outstanding medical teachers of contemporary times, traveled widely in the cause of medical education; conducted/ participated over 1500 continuing medical education (CME) programs on various topics on medicine and medical education during the last 45 years. His Sunday classes for almost 3 decades, at Stanley Hospital, were very popular, with nearly 100% of exam-going UG/ PG students attending, which are being continued even after his retirement. He popularized teaching operative surgery through video, recording over 60 of his own operations, adding his comments and explanations. To encourage surgical students to develop interest in the subject of Vascular Surgery, he instituted an endowment in the Medical University for awarding Prof C M K Reddy Gold Medal, for MS (Gen & Ortho) students of our state.
After being in USA for five years, to leave such lucrative life, with an idea of settling in India, to serve his countrymen (in 1970), at the time when no one was returning from abroad, for want basic medical infrastructure, illustrates his patriotic zeal and service consciousness.
Highlights to his medical profession include:
- He started TN Medical Practitioners’ Association (TAMPA) in 1989, to cater over 40,000 doctors in the state and started a News Letter, to disseminate important information to the practitioners.
- President of the Federation of Medical & Dental Associations of Tamil Nadu (FEMDAT), formed 15years ago, first of its kind in the entire country.
Unanimously elected as the President for the
Tamil Nadu Medical Council in 2002.
- He started a Public Grievance Cell to receive complaints from the aggrieved public and to initiate appropriate disciplinary action against erring doctors.
Catalyzed the TN Tourism Dept to open a separate cell dedicated for Medical Tourism in the state.
- He has been conducting regular monthly continuing medical education (CME) programs on various current subjects, for the past 16 years.
Lifetime Achievement Awards:
- In the name of Dr K S Sanjivi, by CIOSA & Udavum Karangal (2008)
- Loyola College (Autonomous) (2010)
- TN Dr MGR Medical University (2011)
- British South India Chamber of Commerce in Parliament House, London (2013)
- Lions International by Lions Governor (2015)
Examiner to MBBS, MS, MCh (Vascular), National Board & FRCS (UK)
Authored several scientific papers and 2 popular books in Surgery
First successful kidney transplantation in TN Govt hospitals, at Chennai (2006)
Visiting Professor to several Universities in India & abroad